8/10/2011

Adventure

Our traveling adventure has started!

We arrived here July 29th in the afternoon and promptly moved into our "new home!" After unloading the uhaul we took it back and went grocery shopping. (Back up a few hours to when we first moved in - I noticed a few bugs on the carpet so in my true fashion, I vacuumed every square inch of the apartment not really giving it a second thought.) After we went grocery shopping we came home and much to our surprise our "new home" already had occupants. Roaches. EVERYWHERE. Casey took Clay outside to play while I sprayed RAID along the base boards. Here is a little tip - if you think you might have a bug infestation just spray a little RAID on the base board. If 100 roaches scurry up the wall trying to escape the RAID - you have a problem. SO...we packed a suitcase (or plastic tub in our case) and headed to the Marriott for the night. (Which was extremely nice and pretty inexpensive by the way!)

Because I couldn't sleep I got up and spent all night researching solutions to our problem. 1. solution - MOVE OUT. So, I secured the same uhaul that we had dropped off the day before - to be picked up at 8 in the morning. (It was 4 in the morning when I did this - I decided instead of laying there crying I was going to be proactive. And so I planned our day. Pick up uhaul, move all of our stuff out of the roach motel, and then go speak with the office staff about what the problem was - it didn't open until 10am.) We did just that. We picked up the uhaul (after getting Starbucks) moved all of the stuff out of the roach motel (thank you Casey for 1. hauling everything up the stairs to move us in and 2. hauling everything down the stairs to move us out. All in a 12 hour period.) By ten I was ready to go to the office and talk to the manager. (I had been staying in constant contact with Trinity Healthcare the entire time mind you - not only were they understanding but they were willing to let us do anything at their expense to get us into a better situation.) I talked to the office and four hours later we were moving into a 2 bedroom apartment that was MUCH, MUCH nicer! (Again, thank you to my wonderful husband who unloaded and hauled everything up the stairs once again! You are one of a kind! Did I happen to mention that it was 107 outside?)

Needless to say, the start was a little rough but it has turned out to be excellent! Our "new home" is wonderful, clean, free of any creepy crawlies. The hospital I am working in is absolutely wonderful! I mean truly WONDERFUL. The type of place you don't leave. (Unless you're a traveler, of course.) The town is incredible - pretentious, maybe. Snobby, maybe. But man oh man are the houses beautiful. And the landscaping. Holy hell, the landscaping! People take pride in every square inch of their lawn down here. The only thing that would make this more amazing is if it wasn't 105 every day! (I have been told that winters here are an absolute joy!)

We have settled in, I have worked for 1.5 weeks, and our adventure has officially started!

(If you are wondering - Clay absolutely LOVES it! We wake up in the mornings, take a swim, play on the playground and then go on an adventure indoors during the day when it is scorching out. We usually finish the day with a walk, a swim, and a little ice cream treat! Clay has loved Casey being home and I have too!)

Pictures to come later today when I have the software installed on my (new) computer to support the pictures! (I got a little bitty Gateway Netbook - so inexpensive, so little, so portable!)

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you guys are finally situated! I'm impressed...I probably would have lay there crying, lol!

    ReplyDelete